Software Companions Support Forum

Author   Comment  
OSP

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello, I just recently purchased the scViewer as I noticed your documentation mentioned support for Microsoft Office 2007 or newer documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OpenDocument).

Using VB6 (Visual Basic 6.0):

I placed the control on a form and have it opening a Excel document (created in MS Office 2010) and
  • on the computers that have MS Office 2010, the viewer loads the Excel document
  • on the computers that have MS Office 2016, the viewer does not load the Excel document, and additionally, when the form that has the scViewer control is closed, the application crashes (uncaptured no error, no dialog, just gone).

Do you have any solution to this?

EDIT: This is using Version 6.30 Build 482
softcomp

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
hi,

I'm sorry for the delayed answer (due to Christmas Holidays).

We will upgrade one our computers to Office 2016 next week and I hope we will be able to reproduce and fix this error.
Most likely the Automation (COM) interface has been changed in Office 2016.

We've registered this problem as issue #1159.

-Support

OSP

Reply with quote  #3 
Hello,
I appreciate it and thank you very much.

Happy Holidays!
softcomp

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
Hi,

Happy New Year!

We're now finally looking into this issue and we do have two questions.
Do you know if the computers are using 32 or 64 bit installation of Office 2016?
And do you 32 or 64 bit scViewerX in your application?

Regards,
Support
OSP

Reply with quote  #5 
It is a mixed environment of 32 and 64 bit versions of Office 2016.  The application being developed is currently using the 32 bit scViewerX OCX.  This may change later down the road, but for now, this is what I need to be able to support the effort.

Thanks
softcomp

Administrator
Reply with quote  #6 
Hi,
We've replaced the Office converters with a third party converter.
This converter, OfficeToPDF, is a open source project under control by Cognidox.
It is licensed under Apache 2.0 which allow you to use it for free in a commercial project:

You can use any Apache License 2.0 licensed software in your commercial products for free. However, you must not name your product in a way that it looks like an endorsement from Apache. You must also not use any of the Apache marks (like the multi-colored feather) anywhere in your product or its documentation.

You can read more about the converter here:
https://github.com/cognidox/OfficeToPDF

It will work with all MS Office versions (2007 to 2016).

Please test it and let us know if there still are problems.

Best regards,
Support

OSP

Reply with quote  #7 
Hello,
Do I need to uninstall the current version that I have before installing this ?  Also, will I need to reference the OfficeToPDF converter within the VB6 project?

Thanks
softcomp

Administrator
Reply with quote  #8 
Hi,

The best would probably be to uninstall the older version before installing this.

You will not need to reference OfficeToPDF in your project.
You only need to make sure the executable is installed in the same folder as the ocx file (this is default if you use our installer).

Best regards,
Support
softcomp

Administrator
Reply with quote  #9 
Version 6.40 has just been released and it includes the new OfficeToPDF converter.
More information and download links can be found here:
http://softwarecompanions.com/scupdate.html

-Support
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.